The second coming of Christ
The blessed hope of God’s people. This has been the hope of saints in all ages and it is a theme particularly developed in the New Testament. Cp Job 19:25-26, 1 Corinthians 1:7, Philippians 3:20, Hebrews 9:28, 2 Peter 3:12-14, 1 John 3:2.
The day of Christ’s second coming is not revealed. Cp Mark 13:32. This statement does not indicate Christ’s ignorance of the time of His own return to earth but rather that the revelation of this matter is not part of the body of truth that He came to earth to reveal. As God the Son He knows all that the Father knows!
The Lord Jesus will come personally as He departed personally. Cp Acts 1:9-11, John 14:2-3.
His coming will be sudden. The suddenness of the event will mean that it will come as a surprise to the ungodly, those who are false professors and all who are careless about the Scriptures’ instruction on the subject. Cp 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3, Luke 17:26-30, Luke 21:34-35, 2 Peter 3:10, Revelation 16:15, Matthew 25:5-6, Revelation 3:3.
God’s people are particularly exhorted to be watchful. Some of God’s saints will be instructed in these matters and so will not be overtaken by that day as by a thief. Cp Matthew 24:32-33, 42-46, Luke 12:35-38, 1 Thessalonians 5:4.
The coming of the Lord Jesus will be universally apparent. Cp Matthew 24:26-27, Revelation 1:7.
His coming will be preceded by remarkable phenomena. Cp Isaiah 13:9-10, Joel 2:30-31, Matthew 24:29, Mark 13:24-25, Luke 21:25, Revelation 6:12-14.
The investiture of the Lord Jesus with His Kingdom. Just previous to His coming the Lord Jesus will be invested with His kingdom by the Father, Luke 19:12, Daniel 7:13-14.
The coming of the Saviour will be with power and great glory. Cp Matthew 16:27, 26:64, Mark 8:38, Luke 9:26.
- Events that occur when the Lord Jesus reaches earth’s atmosphere. At this point a number of events the Scriptures refer to occur: the last trump will sound, the voice of the archangel will be heard, the angels will be sent forth to gather saints and sinners together, the dead in Christ will rise in the image of Christ, the living saints will be changed and gathered by the angels will rise to meet the descending Saviour in the sir, mere professors of Christianity will be separated from the saints and confined to everlasting fire, the Lord will reward His saints. Cp 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, 1 Corinthians 15:51-52, Matthew 13:30, 40-43, 49-50, Luke 19:12-26, 1 Thessalonians 2:19, Colossians 3:4, Philippians 3:20-21, Psalm 17:15, 1 John 3:2, 2:28, 2 Timothy 4:8, 2 Thessalonians 1:10, 2 Thessalonians 2:1, Revelation 14:14-16, Mark 13:26-27, Matthew 24:30-31, Luke 14:14, 1 Corinthians 3:14, Revelation 11:18, Matthew 24:45– 25:46.
- Then the Lord will descend to the earth. He will do so in company with all His holy angels and He will stand on the Mt. of Olives from where He left. Cp Zech 14:4-5, Job 19:25-26, 1 Thessalonians 4:14, 1 Thessalonians 3:13, Jude 14, 2 Thessalonians 1:7, Luke 9:26.
- A great earthquake will then occur. Antichrist with his false prophet will be destroyed by being cast into the lake of fire alive. The kings of the earth that had allied themselves with Antichrist in his final assault on Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Saviour, as in a winepress, and their flesh given to the birds of the air. Cp Zechariah 14:4-5, Revelation 16:18, Isaiah 11:4, 2 Thessalonians 2:8, Daniel 7:11, 45, Revelation 6:15-17, 14:17-20, Isaiah 63:3, Revelation 19:11-21, Joel 3:12-14, Revelation 16:14-16, Zechariah 12:4, 14:3, 12-13, Isaiah 66:15-16.
- At that time God’s elect among the Jews then in Jerusalem will be converted to Christ. Cp Isaiah 66:7-8, Jeremiah 31:31-34, Daniel 12:1, Isaiah 60:1-2, Ezekiel 36:24-27, Zechariah 12:10-14, Zechariah 13:1, 9, Romans 11:12, 15, 23-31, Matthew 23:39.
- Satan will then be bound and cast into the bottomless pit for 1000 years. Cp Revelation 20:1-3.
next: The reign of Christ with His saints