The apostasy of the Anglican Church in Canada continues to evidence itself. At its recent tri-annual General Synod in Halifax it was resolved to continue to “engage in theological and scriptural study of human sexuality” and to include the “voices of gays and lesbians” in that process. Since the last Synod in 2007, two parishes in the ACC have been blessing same-sex unions and others are reported to be considering doing it. In 2007 the proposal to allow parishes liberty to decide at a local level whether or not to bless same-sex unions failed by the narrowest margins.
This issue has divided the ACC of late. Thirty seven parishes have left the ACC and join the Anglican Network in Canada.
Related to the same issue, it was interesting to see that the ACC Synod had as a featured speaker the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church (the Anglican Church in the United STates), Katharine Jefferts Schori. The ACC thus showed its support of the Episcopal Church’s recent ordination of Mary Glasspool, who openly practices her sodomite lifestyle, as suffragan Bishop of Los Angeles. Indeed the Archbishop of ACC, Fred Hiltz, expressed support for the Episcopal Church in the light of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s sanctions against the Episcopal Church over Mary Glasspool’s ordination. Clearly he supports the idea of sodomite bishops!
One would think that the Bible had nothing to say on this subject! The blindness, ignorance and hostility to God’s order produced by apostasy is staggering. The ACC certainly needs to study the Scriptures on this matter! However, the kind of study being suggested is simply to look for a way to pervert the teaching of God’s word to support what God condemns. The very fact that the ACC is soliciting the views of sodomites in formulating its views of what God has said demonstrates that it not interested in adhering only to what the Lord has said. God has spoken very clearly on the subject of human relationships:
- “And he [i.e. the Lord Jesus] answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.” (Matt 19:4-6 AV)
- “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.” (Leviticus 18:22 AV)
The Saviour warned His people that prior to His return, the earth would resemble the society of Sodom and Gomorrah and that, as in history so in the future, the appearance of the sins of Sodom would usher in the day of Divine wrath.
- “Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.” (Luke 17:28-30 AV)
While the ACC moves toward a full endorsement of the sodomite lifestyle, encouraging sinners in their defiance of God, the gospel of Jesus Christ sets wonderful hope before those caught up in this sin and every other form of rebellion against God. There is a way of deliverance from sin and the guilt that sin contracts before God’s law. Paul wrote to the Corinthians, some of who were involved in this very sin:
- “And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.” (1Cor 6:11 AV)
- “…the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin…If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1Jo 1:7, 9 AV)
The word of God is clear that if any sinner recognizes their sin before God and confesses that sin there is pardon and justification before God. The ACC in its blindness continues to ignore the word of God and pursue a course dictated by the sinful inclination of the human heart and motivated by a desire to pander to an increasingly wicked age rather than be faithful to God and His word.
For any genuine believers still in the Anglican Church the purpose of God is best stated in the words the Apostle John heard with reference to the destruction of Babylon:
“And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.” (Rev 18:4 AV)
Click here to listen to a message preached by Rev. Foster when the New Westminster, BC diocese authorized blessing same-sex unions in 2005.